The congregation of First Lutheran Church exists for the purpose of proclaiming Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and helping people become fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ. We do that by teaching and living the following core beliefs and values:
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (Matt 3:16-17)
- We believe in the deity and humanity of Christ (John 1:1, 14), in His virgin birth (Matt 1:18), in His sinless life (2 Cor 5:21), in His miracles (John 4:48), in His sacrificial death on the cross as payment for our sins (1 Pet 2:24), in His bodily resurrection (1 Cor 6:14), in His ascension to the right hand of the Father (Eph 1:20), in His present rule as Head of the Church (Col 1:18) and in His personal return in power and glory (Matt 24:30).
- We believe that, “all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God”, (Rom. 3:23).
- We believe that only through faith in Jesus Christ can sinners receive forgiveness or atonement for their sin (Rom 3:24-25), the promise of which is eternal life with Him in Heaven (John 3:16)
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, who enables the Christian to live this new life (John 15:14-17; Romans 12; 1 Cor 12)
- Our church bases all of its proclamation and teaching on the Word of God, the Bible. We say that the Bible is “our highest authority in matters of faith and life.” (2 Tim 3:16-17)
- We believe that we are called to serve God in the world, proclaiming in word and deed the Good News of the Gospel through acts of mercy, justice and compassionate service. (Matt 28:19)